The transaction brings together Intrinsic’s network of 3,000 independent and restricted advisers with Old Mutual Wealth’s leading investment platform and asset management solutions. Customers can expect an aligned proposition that uses the combined scale and buying power of the group to deliver an integrated service and excellent value.
Old Mutual Wealth, through Skandia, believes strongly in the importance of individual financial advice in helping deliver secure financial futures for all customers. The purchase of Intrinsic reinforces this commitment to the advice channel.
Through this transaction Intrinsic secures the support of Old Mutual Group, a FTSE 100 company with over 160 years of experience in supporting distribution. Intrinsic’s existing management structures and business model will remain, and Old Mutual Wealth’s platform, protection and investment solutions will be added to the panels for its restricted advice offer, enhancing the existing client proposition.
The acquisition is subject to regulatory approval.
Paul Feeney, CEO of Old Mutual Wealth, comments:
“Wealth management is not just for the wealthy. Most people need high quality individual advice to help them secure their financial future, to achieve their goals and look after their families. We believe passionately in this and want to improve access to wealth management services for people right across the UK. With one in ten advisers in the UK being part of Intrinsic we will be ideally positioned to facilitate that. Intrinsic is a high quality business with high quality people and this acquisition is a sign of our commitment to the financial advice industry.”
Richard Freeman, CEO of Intrinsic, comments:
“Ownership by Old Mutual Wealth will bring a host of benefits to our customers and to our business. It will deliver a first-class proposition with the investment platform, investment solution and advice relationship fully aligned in a way that provides real value for money. In addition, the support of a single, stable shareholder with Old Mutual’s financial strength and global experience in advice and distribution will further strengthen the business and deliver long-term security for our customers.”
Immediate impact of the acquisition
- Intrinsic has approximately 3,000 financial advisers who operate either on an independent or restricted basis. Intrinsic’s business model will remain and will continue to support both independent and restricted advisers.
- Intrinsic will remain distinct within Old Mutual Wealth, with its own existing brand and management team. The existing Intrinsic teams will continue to run the business on a day-to-day basis.
- Skandia’s protection products will be added to Intrinsic’s panel for its Mortgage & Protection advisers.
- Intrinsic’s restricted advice proposition will remain broad-based in line with client needs and the Skandia platform will be added to Intrinsic’s platform panel.
- Intrinsic’s Cirilium asset management solution will continue to be part of its investment proposition. Cirilium is managed by Henderson, which is a strategic partner of Old Mutual Wealth.
- Old Mutual Wealth will work with Intrinsic to further develop core investment propositions that meet the needs of its customers, utilising Old Mutual Global Investors’ asset management strength.
Wider financial adviser community
- Old Mutual Wealth will be significantly expanding its adviser servicing teams to support Intrinsic advisers. Existing support and service will not be diverted away from existing advisers that do business with Skandia.
- Old Mutual Wealth will have clear and defined processes in place for ensuring confidentiality for customers that are advised by external advisers.
- Old Mutual Wealth remains committed to servicing the wider financial advice market and is investing significantly in the products and services it offers all financial advisers. The recent launch of its WealthSelect proposition and the significant investment it is making in its platform through its arrangement with IFDS is evidence of this.
Quotes from previous shareholders of Intrinsic:
Andy Briggs, Group Chief Executive, Friends Life:
“As a founder shareholder of Intrinsic, it has been a real pleasure for Friends Life to support the company as it has grown rapidly over the last eight years to become a major player in the distribution marketplace. Intrinsic is a business based on experienced leadership and real customer focus. The transaction is clearly a positive step for Intrinsic advisers and their clients, and we look forward to continuing our strong partnership in the years ahead in helping customers address their protection needs."
Adrian Grace, CEO, Aegon:
“Aegon have worked closely with Intrinsic since it started trading in 2006, and became a shareholder last year as part of the Positive Solutions acquisition. We believed then, and still do, that Intrinsic genuinely supports its advisers and puts the customer at the core of everything it does, and this transaction can only strengthen that position. From our own perspective, the Aegon ARC platform has been hugely popular with Intrinsic advisers, and we are excited to remain part of Intrinsic's platform panel that is based wholly around client need. We wish the combined businesses, the advisers and clients, every success for the future."